Friday, May 28, 2010

Time is Real, Not Relative


Time is real. Really!
Real time. Time delay. Tell time. Story time. Bed time. Time to go! Time to start. Daylight time. Standard time. Mormon Standard Time. Just in time. Waste of time. Good use of time. It's almost time.
Running late. A little late. Too late.
If you set your clock fast, it does not change the fact of what time it really is. Time is a stable, dependable resource that is often in short supply. There is value to your own time, a need to respect other's time.
Years ago with our young family we found ourselves consistently late for church. It didn't matter what time our church began, it was always a last minute rush, a dash and likely a clash with tempers flaring and patience failing.
I was reminded of a story my seminary teacher Steve Sorenson taught: Imagine that there was a man who offered to give one thousand dollars to anyone who was at a certain terminal at the Portland Airport at precisely 6 a.m. If you were one minute, even one second late, you would receive nothing. No excuses.
What lengths would you go to, to ensure that you arrived on time? Would you plan extra time for a bridge lift, a flat tire, or a dead battery? Would you plan for unforeseen circumstances, parking and getting to the right terminal? When it was nearly 6 a.m. would you listen to one more song on the radio in your car, use the restroom to put on make-up or hang around with friends in the hall? If we could get there at 6 a.m. without fail...is it not merely a lack of respect, desire or urgency that causes us to be late for church?
Dan and I decided that we would plan adequate time to arrive at church on time without rushing. We planned how long it took to drive to church, arrive, park, go in and find seats. We then added the amount of time it takes to get into the car (about 5 minutes surprisingly with all the oh, I forgot my scriptures) and then 15 minutes for the "time to go" call when everyone brushes their teeth and puts on their shoes. It made going to church much less stressful.
While driving I am a better, more attentive driver if I am not rushing. If I'm going to a Dr. appointment, a hair appointment or a class at the gym my stress or enjoyment level is directly related to my planning ahead and leaving adequate time to arrive promptly.
I challenge anyone reading this to:
  1. Change your clocks to reflect the actual real time
  2. Have adequate clocks in your home to know what time it is
  3. Be on time to every appointment for one week
Give me just a little more time!

3 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

But if our clocks all reflect different times, then we'll panic and rush to get there in time, causing us to be on time. Right?

Oddly enough, I have found that my bedroom clock is not calibrated correctly resulting in being fast over time, even if I set it to the right time at one point.

All very good and valid points though. I shall strive to give myself and extra five minutes to get to my appointments on time. :)

Beverly Jensen said...

Maybe it's "TIME" to get a new clock! mom

Esther Ogden said...

Great post, Mom! I LOVE being on time...the stress is just gone when we arrive just a touch early. I have more work to do on that, but we sure try! =)