Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why Sheep Get Lost

The purpose of the Primary lesson was to teach how Jesus is our shepherd. We are his sheep and should follow Him. After explaining what a shepherd does I thought I would teach the 5-6 year-olds how to be good sheep and follow the shepherd with an object journey.
"We will be quiet sheep," I optimistically instructed my 7 sheep. "I will be the shepherd." I lined them up in twos. One boy was asked to be the shepherd helper in the back to make sure all the sheep came.
I opened the door. Before I could step into the hall most of the sheep were halfway down to the chapel. The sheep who were paying attention came back and we waited for the others to notice they were astray. Our first stop was the library and we almost made it there together as a flock.
We continued outside because it was such a beautiful day and sheep love the sun. The flock scattered from the path and did not hear the voice of their shepherd. It was a lot like herding cats.
We came back into the building because clearly this was not going well. We stopped in the area between the inner and outer doors to continue the object lesson. There were only 7 children (I've had as many as 14) and I could hardly contain them within an enclosed 10x10 spot. "This is our sheepfold where we would stay for the night." The shepherd's helper was placed at one door and I was at the other. I told them that he was like the Bishop who helps Jesus. Each of them were given a wall - a commandment that would help them stay safe. "The shepherd will help you be safe if you stay together and listen to the shepherd."
I was frustrated. This was turning out to be a great lesson but no one was listening! The sheep were ignoring the shepherd and doing whatever they pleased.
Suddenly it all became very clear...this is the predicament the Savior is in. He can certainly not force the sheep to stay in the fold. He loves his sheep and does not want any of them to be lost...but they are just grazing and looking for green pastures to roam on their own.
This is why sheep get lost.
If we stray from the safety of the sheepfold we are prey for the wolves of the world. If we do not learn the voice of our Shepherd we will be distracted and not know which way to go. We need to PAY ATTENTION or the lessons will be over and we will end up coloring a picture instead of painting an eternal future.

3 comments:

Angel Brockbank said...

LOVE THIS STORY! HOLY Cow! Isn't it amazing how we continue to learn when we don't expect it. Through our trials I thought I knew it all, and it wasn't until I humbled myself and realized I didn't that things changed pretty quickly. I love the little primary kids, they are so great. I think this is a great calling for you Mom, you're awesome!

The Original TomKat said...

What a great way to teach children at that age. Although they may not have noticed, it's so interesting, the contrast that you notice between the 5-6 year olds pretending to be sheep, and us in our everyday lives as sheep. It is so important for us to follow the Shepherd's every word. Isn't it funny how we're called to teach the primary children, but so often they end up teaching us more? Way to go!

J. said...

Wha? Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention...

-Laman, Lemuel & the Hazel Dell Deacons