Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Before corn was used for Ethanol


Christmas Feast 2004
It looks like the kids got one piece of cake to share?
Before corn was used for Ethanol and eggs cost $4.00 a dozen...this is what our $15 a month could buy.
  • 15 for 1$ - 8oz. cans of tomato sauce (used for making spaghetti or goop)
  • 1$ gallon milk (we drank 1-2 gallons a month)
  • 1$ 18 eggs
  • 2 1$ packages of spaghetti or macaroni
  • 10 for 1$ Campbell's Tomato Soup (made with half milk/half water)
  • 1$ pound of hamburger (1-2# a month)
  • 4 for 1$ bread
  • 49 cents a pound for whole fryers

Things we ate: Spaghetti, "goop" (macaroni with hamburger, tomato sauce, onions and frozen corn), biscuits, potatoes (mashed was his favorite), tomato soup with saltine crackers or toasted cheese sandwiches. Fried chicken.Tuna casseroles were famous for how far they could be stretched. Frozen corn or peas were the only veggies.

Oatmeal, corn flakes, cheerios and scrambled eggs were standard breakfast fare. I made pancakes a few times but Dan said he didn't like them that much.

Special treats: Cookable chocolate pudding, cake (box cheaper than scratch), scratch cookies.

It was for sure a "loaves and fishes" type of time and we're not sure how we survived on $15 either but we did for, I would guess, 9 months.

After those days I remember having the food budget raised to $100 with at least Brian, maybe Andi.

Later, after serving a tuna casserole for dinner, Dan said, and I quote: "How much would I need to raise your food budget to never have a casserole again?"

As the 4 kids became teens we had a food budget of 400$. We enjoyed plenty of chips, ice cream, varied cereals and other "luxury" items. Most of the time there was no need for a "food budget" for which I am thankful.

3 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

Wow. I don't think I could have survived on just that. But maybe that's because I came from your house where we were eating much better than what you described. I do remember, however, promising myself that after we graduated from college, I was only buying Tillamook cheese from then on. None of the cheap stuff. :)

:)

Bradley Dean said...

That was great. I especially liked the tuna casserole story. That's great! Thanks for sharing!

Esther Ogden said...

I can totally see Dad saying that! That is awesome! =)