Friday, April 25, 2008

No Dignified Options Available

Today’s adventure....
It was a rainy day with a cold, blustery wind so uncharacteristic for April. As the garage door opened Zoe ran out to meet me. She had been alone for 2 hours so I took her to the pen before going inside. I saw that the wind had kicked up a corner of the artificial grass so I stepped over to fix it. BANG went the side door as the wind plotted against me. Somehow the force locked the door and I was stuck in the dog kennel!
I looked for a hide-a-key (don't tell but now there is one:) that was not there and then was faced with
1)screaming for help (the garage door was still open)
2)climbing over the fence
Option 1 would of course be undignified and would also have been difficult with the roar of the wind and lawnmowers filling the usually peaceful neighborhood with noise akin to a freight train. So, I went with option 2. I’m not sure it was any more dignified…but I was able to do it thanks to my superior athletic skills!

The adventure continues...
Trying to act cool, wow!I like I had just climbed over the fence, I found the wind had blown over the plants on the front porch. I had difficulty sweeping up the dirt, especially with Zoe dancing and jumping around the broom.
I decided to do it right and got out the hose to spray down the entry way. "I can do this without getting wet" I thought optimistically while I wondered what the wind chill factor would be.

Zoe thought the water hose was even better than the broom! For a dog who whines when she has to go three steps into the rain to pee it was ironic seeing her get in the cold water like it was a hot summers day. We were now both wet and dirty. She ran in the house, tracking dirt all over the entry tile before I could grab her for a bath.
When I gave her a bath, in warm water I might add, I became soaked as she squirmed and struggled because(oh the irony!) she hates baths. I dried and combed her and then changed my clothes.
Perhaps dignity is over-rated.

4 comments:

Angel Brockbank said...

Oh the adventures of Nonna. Now try that with a child :) That's a great story! See, isn't it fun to have a blog to write these stories on? I LOVE IT!

Esther Ogden said...

Personally, I would love to see you climb over the fence! Go, Mom! =)

Andi Sherwood said...

We timed our arrival nicely - just moments after she climbed over the fence.

That was a crazy windy day. :)

:)

The Original TomKat said...

Hi Bev! It's Tommy's Katie. I hope you don't mind...I tracked your blog down! It looks great!